I’m often asked on Social Media how much Florence eats at each meal so I thought that I would write a little Blog Post about her portion sizes.
When Florence first started weaning 15 weeks ago she’d only eat 1 little spoon of puree once a day. She has slowly built up how much she eats on a weekly basis. This Blog Post in based on what she’s currently eating at 8 months old.
For Breakfast she’ll either have –
- Half a Weetabix
- Half of a Yeo Valley Natural Yoghurt (approximately 60g)
- A portion of Ready Brek (approximately 15g)
All mixed in with a little Organic Whole Milk and a 100g Fruit Pot
- One slice of Toast or a Crumpet with a little butter. She won’t eat all of the Toast or Crumpet but will eat around half, or until she’s full.
It’s harder to tell how much she eats at lunch time because she has Finger Foods. A lot of it ends up on the floor/in the dog’s mouth/up Florence’s nose but she gives it a good go!
Florence typically eats a mixture of the following for Lunch –
- One slice of Bread sandwich. I usually cut the bread into quarters and make two little sandwich squares, using a variety of fillings from houmous to jam.
- Half a Pitta Bread
- Half a Mini Bagel
- Three or Four Ricecakes
- Two or Three Melba Toasts
- Two or Three Breadsticks
- One or two of the following Vegetables – Half of a ripe tomato, 1-2 sticks of steamed carrot/broccoli/mangetout/cauliflower, 3 inch de-skinned cucumber sticks
- A slice of Ham
- A piece of steamed Chicken breast
- One egg as an omelette, scrambled, or hard boiled
I also tend to offer Florence different flavoured Houmous, Boursin, Philadelphia etc to dip into. If she has fruit after Lunch then it’ll be a couple of Strawberries, Blueberries, Grapes, Raspberries, or fingers of Orange, Melon, Pineapple, Banana, Mango etc. Florence will stop eating once she is full!
For Dinner, Florence has 3 cubes of homemade food, approximately 60g which is half of a popular brand baby food pouch. Even though Florence is now eating larger portions, I still freeze her food in small ice cube trays as I love having the freedom of mix and matching her food without having to make lots of individual dishes.
After dinner she’ll have another 100g Fruit Pot for pudding. Occasionally she’ll have a few pieces of fresh fruit too
Sometimes I feel that Florence is constantly eating, whether it’s a bottle of milk or a main meal!
How much do your little ones eat?